The Association for Practical and Professional Ethics
Twenty-third Annual Meeting Announcement
Hyatt Regency Jacksonville-Riverfront Hotel
February 27 –March 2, 2014
Call for Papers and Presentations
The Association for Practical and Professional Ethics (APPE) is a comprehensive, international organization advancing scholarship, education, and practice in practical and professional ethics. As a multidisciplinary association we facilitate and support collaboration among scholars and teachers, business and government leaders, and professionals from all areas including business, engineering, government, journalism, law, medicine, scientific research, social work, and others concerned with the practical application of ethics and values.
This call invites individuals from all disciplines and professions interested in advancing understanding of practical and professional ethics. Submissions are invited on ethical issues in all fields, including: Business, Engineering, Government, Journalism and Media, Law, Medicine, Social Work as well as interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary topics that cut across professions such as Action Research, Biomedical, Education Environmental, Public Health, and Research Ethics.
We invite submissions in the following categories: (1) Formal Papers or Individual Presentations; (2) Panel Discussions; (3) Pedagogical Demonstrations; (4) Case Study Presentations; (5) RCR Posters and (6) Creative Arts Presentations (e.g., short play, poetry, or fiction). In practice, one individual submission per person will be accepted.
***The Deadline for all submission for the Annual Meeting has been extended to Friday, November 1, 2013.***
Please, see the list of Important Deadlines at the bottom of this page for specific submission deadlines.
Please see the Submission Guidelines and Categories page for full details.
Click here for 2014_submissionForm_fillableUpdated.
Special Paper Competitions and Awards
- Best Formal Paper by an Early Career Scholar – $500 prize
- Karen M. T. Muskavitch Award for Graduate Work in Practical Ethics – $500 prize
- Best Formal Paper by a Graduate Student – $500 prize
- Best Formal Paper on Pre-College Ethics – $750 First prize and $500 Second prize
- Undergraduate Formal Paper Competition – Free Conference Registration
For more information, see the Special Paper Competition Submission Categories page.
We especially encourage authors of new books on practical and professional ethics to submit a presentation and have their book showcased in the APPE Book Resource Room during the conference. Authors may submit for one or both of the following categories at the Annual Meeting: (1) Author Meets the Critics and (2) Lunch with an Author Discussions. APPE invites all authors of new work to participate in the exclusive Author Recognition Reception during the Annual Meeting.
Special Program Topic Session Links
- Biomedical Ethics
- Business Ethics
- Empirical Ethics
- Liberty and Security
- Responsible Conduct of Research
Special Interest Sections
APPE sponsors many opportunities for advancing research and professional practice through Special Interest Sections. These interest sections put you in touch with international leaders in your field that are developing and implementing practical ethics programs in all areas of business, education and the professions. Special Interest Sections also organize program sessions at the Annual Meeting, and engage members in ongoing communication and collaboration throughout the year.
Currently, Association facilitates and supports special interest sections for those with particular interests in the following areas:
- Biomedical Ethics
- Business Ethics
- Engineering, Science and Technology Ethics
- Journalism and Media Ethics
- Research Ethics
New Special Interest Sections are being developed in the following areas:
- Action Research Ethics
- Public Health Ethics
- Social Work Ethics
For further information on the APPE Special Interest Sections, please contact Stuart D. Yoak, Executive Director, at the Association headquarters, phone: (812) 855-6450 or email: email@example.com.
- September 2 Registration Opens
- October 18 Author Book Submissions – **Extended to November 1, 2013**
- October 25 Program Submissions (For everything but Book Submissions and Special Paper Competitions) – **Extended to November 1, 2013**
- November 1 Paper Competition Submissions
- November 22 End of Early Bird Registration
- December Notification of Program Presenters
- January 6 Deadline for Audio Visual Request Forms
- January 10 National Ethics Bowl Team Registration ends
- January 10 Publisher Ads deadline
- January 17 End of On-Time Registration
- February 4 Hotel Reservations deadline
- February 11 Meal Reservations with Payment deadline
For questions, call: (812) 855-6450